10 reasons why is prolonged sitting killing us
Warnings around the negative impact of sedentary work on our health are more and more frequent these days, and it is not “only” about chronic back pain. According to one recent US study (Medical Billing & Coding), those who are sitting more than 6 hours a day are about 40% more likely to die within 15 years of someone who sits less than 3 hours a day.
The following are the 10 major risks which are caused by long sitting and how to prevent them. Doctors found the simple solution of how to prevent it - increase exercise activities and use a high-quality health chair for sitting at work that allows the body movement.
So what specifically is wrong with our body when we sit 8 hours a day?
- Motionless muscles burn less fat, blood flows more slowly and fatty acids can easily clog the heart.
- Increases blood pressure and level of cholesterol, therefore sedentary people have more than two times higher occurrence of cardiovascular disease.
- The risk of diabetes increases by 24%, as the muscles do not respond to insulin in relax mode as fast as they work, so the pancreas produces more and more insulin.
- Electrical activity of muscles is turned off, your body stops burning calories effectively, enzymes that break down fat decrease by 90%.
- Increases the risk of developing cancer. In the passive position without moving weakens our immune system that kills harmful - and potentially carcinogenic - free radicals.
- Brain weakens. Active muscles pumped oxygenated blood to the brain. Long-term sedentary lifestyle slows down everything, including the function of the brain.
- Intervertebral discs are squeezed, dry out and getting harder, so it loses function as a shock absorber in between the vertebrae. It causes back pain and spinal damage.
- The risk of deep vein thrombosis increases by 93%. The blood accumulates in the legs, manifesting as swollen ankles or varicose veins as well as dangerous blood clots.
- Increases risk of osteoporosis. Activities such as walking, running etc. stimulate the bones to be denser and stronger, passive sitting causes the opposite effect.
- Passive sitting reduces our overall spectrum of movements. When we slouch on a chair, our rectus abdominis and gluteus maximus are not working at all. Flabby abdominal muscles and soft buttocks make worse our physical stability and visage.
"The cure is ACTIVE SITTING" says Dr. Mark Speakman, Chiropractor at Alma Wellness, Kitsilano Chiropractic Clinic, helping patients heal themselves since 1995.
It is great to know but the fact is that many of us have a sedentary job, traditional desk and swivel chair. What can you do about it? Literally, the revolutionary change you achieve when you replace the chair that increases risk factors, for a quality Health Chair that allows you to move. SPINALIS Health Chair is an European product (produced since1999) but new to Canada and it is the only chair certified as a medical device. When we talk about healthy sitting, we mean active sitting. It is a movable seat on a spring that combines a fixed ergonomic backrest, supporting the natural movement while sitting and guarantees a safe position. It not only prevents back pain; in many cases, it can take away the pain. In contrast with, for example, the fit ball, which has no stable point and therefore is not safe enough for long use. Physiotherapists and orthopaedists recommend a maximum two hours of sitting on the ball.
Come and try SpinaliS Health Chairs at our SpinaliS Canada Store in Vancouver where we will recommend the right model of the chair for your body type and you can ask for a free trial. More at: https://www.spinalis-chairs.ca/
Sources: Sources: scientists whose studies contain facts included in this release:
James A. Levine - Director of the Mayo Clinic/Arizona State University Obesity Solutions Institute
Charles E. Matthews - National Cancer Institute, author of several studies on sedentary lifestyle
Jay Dicharry - Director of REP Biomechanics Lab, Oregon, author of the book "Anatomy for Runners"
Amasay Tal - Coordinator, Physical Education and Coaching at Barry University, Florida
Abs and Back Workout
Work out while sitting on any of the SpinaliS chairs and performing your daily tasks at the office or home.
Back Pain Relief
SpinaliS Chairs will work out your core muscles for you. Just sit, do your thing and leave everything else up to SpinaliS. STRONG CORE MUSCLES = NO BACK PAIN
Stylish Office Chairs
The design of the SpinaliS Chairs is an eye candy – your customers will definitely notice them!
Yoga Ball Alternative
It is recommended not to sit longer than 2 hours on a yoga ball, but on the SpinaliS chairs, you can sit all day long.
Standing Desk Alternative
SpinaliS chairs will actually make your body work out and get you into a great shape without the hard task of standing or exercising.
Who does use SpinaliS?
Google, Dubai Airport, SONY, IBM, DELL, Skoda Auto, CSOB Bank, Unicredit Bank, Vodafone and many more.